Salesforce Process Builder helps you to automate various complex business processes. It can do a number of things, such as; Create a record, updates a record, Post to Chatter, Send an Email, Quick Actions, Send Push out Notification, Send Survey invitation, Submit for Approval, etc.
In this article, I am going to explain how to send email alert upon task completion via Process builder. Let’s start with my business use case
Setting the Scene
I am working as System administrator in Miraforce. My next assignment is to create a process to send out an email to the CEO. When a task is high priority, task type is Urgent Quote and task completed, CEO receive an email notification.
What we will do to achieve this, is create an ‘Email Template and Email alert’ that we can use it in process builder. Then I will create the Process Builder that will power the automation.
Note : I have added custom Task type Urgent Quote picklist value in Task object.
If you don’t know, how to Add or Edit Picklist Values. See the help article here.
Step 1: Create Email Alert and Email Template
Create Email Templates
- Go to the Setup
- Find Classic Email Templates
- Click on New Template button
- Choose the type of template you want to create. In this case, I select Text.
Follow the screenshots below.
Here I am sending below email template with Task completed details. So, I choose filed type Task field | Fill all the require Email Template Information and put merge field according your requirements (What would you like to include in email template) when CEO received an email notification.
Create an Email alert on the Task object.
- Go to Setup
- Find Email Alert from quick find box
- Click on it
- Click on the New Email Alert button and enter the details (Descriptions | Unique Name
- Find Email Template (that you have created before) | Recipient Type | Search Role | find Role: CEO from Available Recipients
- Move it to the Selected Recipients ) as shown in the below screenshots
Note: I will suggest, create this process builder first on your sandbox test it and then move it to Production.
STEP 2 – Create the Process Builder
The next step to create a process on the Task object to send out a Task Completed email to the CEO.
- Go to the Setup
- Find Process Builder from quick find box
- Click New button
- Enter Name, API Name and then click on the Save button.
- The Process starts when, A record changes.
Follow the screenshot below
The next step is to add entry criteria.
- Click on Add Object
- Select Task
- Select when a record is created or edited
- click on the Save
As shown in the below screenshot,
The next step is to add Process Criteria
- Click on
- Enter Criteria Name Criteria for Executing Actions, Conditions are met and set filter conditions
- In this case, I set [Task].Status Equals Completed and [Task].Type Equals Urgent Quote
- Click on the Save button
As shown in the following screenshot
The next step is to add an Immediate action to Process.
- Click on Add Action (Under Immediate actions)
- Select the type of action to create (In our case, select Email Alert),
- Fill out the fields Action Type | Action Name | Email Alert
- Click Save button
As shown in the below screenshots
TEST THE RESULT / OUTCOME
The final step is to check this functionally out. Let’s create a task and check your inbox. Did the process builder fire or not?
Here, I have created a task and set Type is Urgent Quote and Priority is High
In this article, I have explained how to send email alert via process builder. Try to create a process builder in your org and see how to get important information quickly and easily.
Look out for more Process Builder tutorials coming in my series!
Mira Shah is 2X Salesforce Certified / Platform Champion / 2X Salesforce Ranger / 7X Superbadge / Answer Leader on Salesforce community / Downunder Dreaming Speaker (Brisbane Edition)
She is a active blogger and founder of Miraforce.